The British Geological Survey (BGS) is an applied geoscience research centre that is housed in UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and affiliated to the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) who recognises the important role it has in managing the impact of its day to-day operations on the environment and in promoting the principles of sustainability in all of its activities.
Our aims are to:-
- Effectively manage, monitor, improve and communicate our environmental performance.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent pollution.
- Set realistic and measurable objectives and targets to effect continual improvement to environmental performance.
- Maintain and improve the standard of our sites for staff, visitors, the community and biodiversity.
- Complying with applicable environmental legal and other requirements relevant to its operations.
- Maintain an Environmental Management System certified to ISO 14001:2015 standard.
The BGS Director will review this policy and its execution annually and ensure that actions are taken to ensure it is continually improved and updated.