The card catalogue records items added to the BGS Library service from 1970 to the mid 1980s, when the computerised catalogue ENVIROLIB began. BGS has undertaken a continuous programme of adding older records to ENVIROLIB and in many cases, the older card catalogue has not been amended. When undertaking a search, users should check the current online catalogues before checking the card catalogue.
When using the online card catalogue:
- Records may be found for the same item in both the online catalogue ENVIROLIB and the card catalogue. In these instances the ENVIROLIB entry will be the current record.
- The card catalogue may indicate locations that do not now exist. In the vast majority of cases, the primary location will now be BGS Keyworth.
- The card catalogue may contain entries for items that have been lost or withdrawn from stock, though in most cases the Library in BGS Keyworth will hold the central copy.
- In all instances please check with the BGS Library staff to confirm a location, or prior to any personal visit to the BGS Library to consult an item.
- Many entries have multiple cards per full entry. There is usually a ‘Cont. on next card’ statement on the lower left of the card indicating this.
- Card colours:
- white: books and monographs
- blue: journal articles
- pink: analytical entries from books (e.g. individual articles from conference proceedings)
How to use the BGS Library card catalogue
- Select a sequence, then select from the choices presented. Links will take you to the card catalogue viewer, which will display the first card.
- There are display options (single card, two card and multiple card views) and navigation and zoom tools in the bottom right of the viewer.
- The slider bar at the bottom of the page allows you to rapidly browse through the full tray of card images.