Katie Whitbread’s Biography
- 2017 – ongoing : National Geological Model – Project Manager
- 2005 – ongoing : Geologist, British Geological survey
- 2012 : PhD University of Glasgow (Fluvial geomorphology)
- 2005 : MSci Geological Sciences, University of Cambridge
- 2004 : BA (Hons) Natural sciences, University of Cambridge
- Sediment connectivity and catchment processes
- 3D geological modelling systems and the communication of 3D geoscience
Current projects and collaborations
- 2017 – ongoing : National Geological Model – managing the development of the UK Earth Model, and the UK GeoModel store. Delivering and communicating 3D geoscience for society.
- 2015 – ongoing : Sediment connectivity in rural and urban catchments
- 2015 –2017 : 21st Century Roadmap: Palaeozoic stratigraphy and palaeogeography of North East Scotland and the Northern North Sea (Industry commissioned research)
Commissioned reports – available from the NERC Open Research Archive
- Whitbread, K, Kessler, H, Kearsey, T, and Terrington, R. In press. 3D geoscience for the UK and beyond. Synopsis of Current 3D Geological Mapping and Modeling in Geological Survey Organizations – 2nd Edition.
- Kearsey, T I, Whitbread, K, Arkley, S L B, Finlayson, A, Monaghan, A A, McLean, W S, Terrington, R L, Callaghan, E, Millward, D and Campbell, S D G. 2019. Creation and delivery of a complex 3D geological survey for the Glasgow area and its application to urban geology. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 108(2-3), 123-140.
- Whitbread, K, Jansen, J, Bishop,P, and Attal, M. 2015. Substrate, slope and sediment controls on bedrock channel geometry in postglacial streams. Journal of Geophysical Research Earth Surface.
- Whitbread, K. 2012. Postglacial evolution of bedrock rivers in post-orogenic terrains: the NW Scottish Highlands. Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Glasgow.
- ArcGIS, 3D geological modelling and digital mapping
- Quantitiative geomorphology
- Geoscience communication
- Geological surveying (superficial deposits and bedrock)
- Geodiversity and geoheritage auditing