Julia is a volcanologist specialising in explosive volcanic eruptions, specifically volcanic stratigraphy, tephrochronology, the petrology of eruption deposits and volcanic hazards. Her PhD, at the University of Leeds, focused on the petrological and geochemical evolution of the Colima Volcanic Complex, Mexico which involved detailed mapping and stratigraphic correlation of explosive eruption deposits (specifically tephra fall), and sampling for petrological and geochemical analysis, and grain size distribution. Recently Julia has been carrying out volcanic hazard analyses in Ascension Island, Mexico and Ethiopia using a scenario-based approach, and expert elicitation to determine frequency, magnitude and likelihoods of potential future eruptions. Her main interests lie in volcanic hazards and impacts of volcanic eruptions on all scales, from local communities to national (systemic vulnerability) and global
Julia Crummy’s Biography
- 2013 – ongoing : BGS Volcanologist
- 2009 –2013 : PhD (University of Leeds): Holocene Evolution of the Colima Volcanic Complex, Mexico
- 2007 –2009 : BGS Offshore Data Manager
- 2003 –2007 : Exploration geologist working on gold, silver and base metal projects in Peru, Ecuador, Sweden and Dominican Republic; Christopher James Gold Corporation, International Minerals Corporation, MinMet PLC
- 1999 –2003 : BSc Geoscience Hons (University of Aberdeen)
- Explosive volcanism (magma petrogenesis; using petrology and geochemistry to understand past and potential future explosive activity)
- Tephra studies (stratigraphic correlation; tephrochronology; tephra dispersion modelling – volume and column height estimates of past eruptions)
- Volcanic hazards (ash fall hazard analyses; scenario-based approaches; expert elicitation)
- Disaster risk reduction (impacts of volcanic hazards; vulnerability assessments including societal, systemic, infrastructure and buildings; communication of volcanic hazards)
- Physical volcanology (geology, field mapping)
- Communicating science and knowledge exchange
- Crummy, J M, Savov, I P, Loughlin, S C, Connor, C B, Connor, L, and Navarro-Ochoa, C. 2019. Challenges of determining frequency and magnitudes of explosive eruptions even with an unprecedented stratigraphy. Journal of Applied Volcanology, 8(1), p.3.
- Crummy, J M, Savov, I P, Navarro-Ochoa, C, and Morgan, D J. 2019. Holocene Eruption History and Magmatic Evolution of the Colima Volcanic Complex in Varley, N R, Connor C B and Komorowski, J C, eds., Volcan de Colima. Active volcanoes of the world. Springer.
- Crummy, J M, Marchant, B, Loughlin, SC, Engwell, S, Tierz, P, Cuba, DM and Vye-Brown, C. 2018. Elicitation of frequency and magnitude of potential future explosive eruptions at Corbetti and Aluto volcanoes, Ethiopia BGS Open File Report (OR/18/061) , 27pp.
- Crummy, J M, Savov, I P, Navarro-Ochoa, C, Morgan, D J, and Wilson, M. 2014. High-K Mafic Plinian Eruptions of Volcan de Colima, Mexico. Journal of Petrology, V.55, p2155-2192.
- Vye-Brown, C, Crummy, J, Smith, K, Mruma, A and Kabelwa, H. 2014. Volcanic hazards in Tanzania BGS Open Report (OR/14/005) , 29pp.
- Crummy, J M, Savov, I P, and Navarro-Ochoa, C. 2012. Holocene Evolution of the Colima Volcanic Complex: Insights from Tephrochronology, Petrology and Geochemistry. Cities on Volcanoes 7, Colima, Mexico, Field Excursion Guidebook.
- Interdisciplinary research; integration of physical and social science research approaches, expert elicitation facilitator; working and researching in cross-cultural and international environments
- Communicating science with diverse audiences; science communication across media and social media; public engagement
- Geological field mapping; igneous petrology and geochemistry; tephra dispersion modelling (Tephra2