Tel: 0131 650 0259
E-mail Heather Stewart
- 2008–present: Marine Habitat Mapping Project Leader
- 2001–present: Marine Geologist, British Geological Survey
- 2001: BSc (Hons), University of Glasgow, Geology and Applied Geology
- 2000–2001: Marine Geologist with Caledonian Geotech
- Mapping the offshore sea-bed geology and Quaternary geology utilising multibeam echosounder, shallow seismic and sample data
- Marine habitat mapping working with marine biologists to investigate the relationship between sea-bed substrate and associated biological communities
- UK involvement in the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program
Current projects and collaboration
- Geological and biological mapping of the Anton Dohrn Seamount and East Rockall Bank areas on behalf of the JNCC
- Marine Sea-bed Mapping Initiative focusing on the glacial geomorphology and evolution of the Firth of Forth region, East Scotland
- Geological interpretation of the sea-bed sediments, bedforms and geological evolution of the Dogger Bank, North Sea, on behalf of the JNCC
- Supervision of PhD student (Jaime Davies) University of Plymouth lead supervisor Dr Kerry Howell
- MESH survey of the canyons of the UK South West Approaches. Geological interpretation of the sea-bed sediments, geomorphology and geological evolution of this canyon system
- Studies into the evolution and distribution of mounds and pinnacles on Hatton Bank
- Sea-bed geological and geomorphological mapping of Hatton Bank, George Bligh Bank, Rosemary Bank, Rockall Bank, Anton Dohrn Seamount, Wyville-Thomson Ridge and Faroe-Shetland Channel. Part of ongoing research with University of Plymouth and National Oceanography Centre, Southampton to better understand the relationship between substrate and biological communities
- 2002: Fellow of the Geological Society of London
DEISING, M, WARE, S, FOSTER-SMITH, R, STEWART, H A, LONG, D, VANSTAEN, K, FORSTER, R, AND MORANDO, A. 2009. Understanding the marine environment - seabed habitat investigations of the Dogger Bank offshore draft SAC. JNCC Report 429.
DAVIES, J, GUINAN, J, HOWELL, K, STEWART, H A, AND VERLING, E, (EDITOR). 2008. MESH South West Approaches Canyons Survey (MESH Cruise 01-07-01) Final Report (Catalogued Under CR/08/024 at the British Geological Survey). MESH Partnership, 2008.
STEWART, H A, AND DAVIES, J S. 2007. SW Approaches MESH Survey, R/V Celtic Explorer Cruise CE0705, BGS Project 07/06, Operations Report. British Geological Survey Commercial Report, CR/07/123.
STEWART, H A, AND DAVIES, J S. 2007. Habitat investigations within the SEA7 and SEA4 areas of the UK continental shelf (Hatton Bank, Rosemary Bank, Wyville Thomson Ridge and Faroe–Shetland Channel). British Geological Survey Commercial Report, CR/07/051.