1978I have almost 40 years experience with Managing and collecting samples, mainly but not exclusively offshore, where I have taken part in sea bed sampling and shallow borehole drilling project for the BGS offshore mapping programme of the UK Continental Shelf. Onshore, I have supervised percussion drilling contracts and carried out our own drilling using a hand portable rig I helped design. I have also been involved in a number of commercial projects drilling in the North Sea, north Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean and scientific projects from the North Pole to Antarctica. I am a drilling co-ordinator in ESO, the European arm of the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP), completing expeditions around the globe. I used to manage on a day-to-day basis the BGS Scottish (onshore) borehole collection, offshore sample archive and the UKCS hydrocarbon core which, until recently, were all held at our stores in Edinburgh. Following the relocation of these to Keyworth I now review materials offered to the NGR for inclusion to these Archives and assess their academic value and potential value to the Nation. I have a management role in the NGR, working with the staff based in Edinburgh who curate, database and make available the samples and specimens we hold.
- 2018 –2018 : Participant in CCGS Amundsen HiBio expedition in the Canadian Arctic for EU-Atlas project.
- 2015 –2016 : Manage relocation of office and sample stores
- 2010 –2012 : Manage relocation of major core store.
- 2004 –2017 : IODP: Expedition 302 – ACEX; SHALDRIL – Shallow drilling, Antarctica; Expedition 313 – New Jersey Shallow Shelf; Expedition 325 – Great Barrier Reef Environmental Changes; Expedition 347 – Baltic Sea Palaeoenvironment; Expedition 364 – Chicxulub K-PG Impact Crater. Expedition 381 – Corinth Active Rift Development.
- 1982 –2004 : Shallow drilling UKCS; Shallow sea bed coring UKCS & South China Sea; Sea bed rock coring, Indian Ocean, JR31; Shallow sea bed coring, Antarctica, JR48 & JR71; Shallow drilling, Antarctica – SHALDRIL; Mud mound sampling North Sea; Shallow drilling, Mediterranean Sea – PROMESS; Percussion drilling, east coast England – LOIS Project.
- 1980 –1996 : Managing a team conducting grain size analysis and geotechnical measurements of sea bed samples.
- 1979 –1986 : Regional offshore mapping programme. Sampling, navigation and geological description duties.
- 1978 : Prior to their relocation to Keyworth in 2012, I managed the BGS Scottish Borehole Collection, the Offshore sample archive and the UKCS hydrocarbon core. I formulated a plan and managed a team over 20 months to photograph and relocate the UKCS samples comprising over 175,000 boxes of core and cuttings from Edinburgh to Keyworth. In addition to these we also relocated almost 30,000 boxes of collected by BGS during our mapping programme. In 2015/16, the experience gained was used to managed a team to relocate the remaining samples held in our Edinburgh office to our new office at the Lyell Centre. These 15,000 trays were scanned for radioactivity, given a condition survey, weighed and databased to produce a full inventory of our holdings, including where they are located in the new stores. I now have a management role in the NGR working with the staff based in Edinburgh and Keyworth who curate, database and make available the samples and specimens we hold.