Sophie is part of the Digital Product Development Team as a Geospatial Data Analyst, where she meets the GIS and analytical needs of the team. She works on many digital products, including a range of geohazard products and the BGS Geology datasets. Sophie specialises in automating processes with Python programming to extract, analyse and manipulate spatial data.
Sophie has completed an undergraduate degree in Physical Geography from Newcastle University and a Master’s Degree in GIS from the University of Manchester. Since graduating she has worked as a GIS specialist and software developer in flood risk management, before joining the British Geological Survey in 2021.
2021 – ongoing: Geospatial Data Analyst, British Geological Survey
2019 – 2020: GIS Developer/Analyst, JBA
2017 – 2018: MSc Geographical Information Science, Distinction. Manchester University
2014 – 2017: BSc Physical Geography, 2:1. Newcastle University
- The cooling impact of canals on the surrounding air to mitigate the urban heat island effect (MSc. 2018)
- Python best practices
- Creation of spatial data products with GIS
- GIS platform experience (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Python programming to automate geospatial analytic processes
- Extracting, analysing and manipulating spatial data
- Detecting and correcting invalid data (data cleaning)