Tracy Shimmield is the Director for the Lyell Centre, a purpose-built £21 m facility, which will enable the British Geological Survey (BGS) and Heriot-Watt University (HWU) to build on their individual and combined interdisciplinary expertise in land and marine conservation, geology and geoscience. Tracy has over 30 years’ experience in environmental geochemistry. She obtained an MSc. From Strathclyde University and a Ph.D. from Edinburgh University. Her research interests include the investigation and assessment of human impacts on the marine environment through the monitoring of pollutants and the study of biogeochemical processes involved in their redistribution. She is interested in how science and innovation can come together to realise societal benefit and economic growth and was a member of the Scotland Can Do Forum set up by the Scotland’s Deputy First Minister. She also works with the Scottish CENSIS Innovation Centre
Tracy Shimmield’s Biography
- 2016: Director, Lyell Centre
- 2012 – 2016 Managing Director, SRSL
- 2009 – 2010 Associate Director, SAMS and Centre Leader: Industry and the Oceans
- 2004 – 2009: Senior Lecturer, Head of Department
- 2002 – 2004: Operational Group Leader of Geochemistry
- 2000 – 2002: Operational Group Leader
- 1997 – 2000: Marine Geochemist: Principal Investigator geochemistry group
- Deep Sea Mining
- Marine Geochemistry
- Heavy Metal Geochemistry
- Anthropogenic Impacts
- Impacts of Marine Waste
- Review of report, Review of Seabed Mining in the Northern Territory, (2016). Shimmield, T.M.
- Review of a scientific study proposal to determine the leaching potential of mine tailings in Chile, Compañía Minera del Pacífico (CMP), 2016. Shimmield, T.M. and Vare, L.
- Recommendations to determine the leaching potential of mine tailings in Chile, Compañía Minera del Pacífico (CMP), 2016. Vare, L and Shimmield, T.M.
- A high level overview of requirements for a successful approach to DSTP, Compañía Minera del Pacífico (CMP), 2015. Shimmield, T.M. and Vare, L.
- 2017 – Member of the Institute of Directors
Boards and committees
- 2018- Member of Deep Sea Mining Working Group chaired by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- 2017 – Chair of GESAMP Working Group 42