Alison Monaghan’s Biography
- 1997 – ongoing : Geologist, British Geological Survey
- 1997 : PhD University of Edinburgh
- 1994 : MA (Hons) University of Cambridge, Geological Sciences
- Mine geothermal energy science, regulation, resources
- Basin analysis, 3D geological modelling & uncertainty for geoenergy resources
- The crowded subsurface and geoenergy; multiple sources of anthropogenic change, characterisation, monitoring, impact, regulation
- Carboniferous geochronology, stratigraphy and tectonics
- Petroleum systems and prospectivity (conventional and unconventional)
- Urban and coalfield geology
Current projects and collaborations
- UK Geoenergy Observatories in Scotland: Glasgow Geothermal Energy Research Field Site, Science Lead.
- Paleozoic-5 cross-border project with TNO
- PhD supervisor with Glasgow University, basin analysis applied to unconventional resources, Midland Valley of Scotland
- Lead editor Geological Society Special Publication ‘Paleozoic Plays of NW Europe’
- 2014-16: 21st Century Exploration Roadmap: Palaeozoic project. Project leader.
- Monaghan, Alison A, Starcher, V, Barron, H F, Shorter, K, Walker-Verkuil, K, Elsome, J, Kearsey, T, Arkley, S, Hannis, S, and Callaghan, E. 2021. Drilling into mines for heat: geological synthesis of the UK Geoenergy Observatory in Glasgow and implications for mine water heat resources. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology.
- Monaghan, A A, Underhill, J R, Marshall, J E A and Hewett, A J. 2018. Paleozoic plays of NW Europe: an introduction. Geological Society , London, Special Publications, 471.
- Monaghan, A A. 2017. Unconventional energy resources in a crowded subsurface: Reducing uncertainty and developing a separation zone concept for resource estimation and deep 3D subsurface planning using legacy mining data. Science of the Total Environment, vol 601-602, 45-56.
- Monaghan, A A, Arsenikos, S, Quinn, M F, Johnson, K R, Vincent, C J, Vane, C H, Kim, A W, Uguna, C N, Hannis, S D, Gent, C M A, Millward, D, Kearsey, T I and Williamson, J P. 2017. Carboniferous petroleum systems around the Mid North Sea High. Journal of Marine and Petroleum Geology, 88C, 282-302
- Monaghan, A A. 2014. The Carboniferous shales of the Midland Valley of Scotland: geology and resource estimation. British Geological Survey for Department of Energy and Climate Change, London, UK.
- Monaghan, A A, Browne, M A E and Barfod, D N. 2014. An improved chronology for the Arthur’s Seat volcano and Carboniferous magmatism of the Midland Valley of Scotland. Scottish Journal of Geology, 50, 165-172
- Monaghan, A A, Ford, J, Milodowski, A, McInroy, D, Pharaoh, T, Rushton, J, Browne, M, Cooper, A, Hulbert, A and Napier, B. 2012. New insights from 3D geological models at analogue CO2 storage sites in Lincolnshire and eastern Scotland, UK. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society, 59 (1). 53-76.
- Underhill, J R, Monaghan, A A and Browne, M A E. 2008. Controls on Structural Styles, Basin Development and Petroleum Prospectivity in the Midland Valley of Scotland. Journal of Marine and Petroleum Geology, 25, 1000–1022.
- Merritt, J E, Monaghan, A A, Entwisle, D C, Hughes, A G, Campbell, S D G and Browne, M A E. 2007. 3D attributed models for addressing environmental and engineering geoscience problems in areas of urban regeneration: a case study in Glasgow, UK. First Break, 25, 79–84
- Monaghan, A A and Parrish, R R. 2006. Geochronology of Carboniferous – Permian volcanism in the Midland Valley of Scotland: implications for regional tectono-magmatic evolution and the numerical timescale. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 163, 15–28.
- Project leadership for industry, Government and academic partners
- Mine water geothermal energy subsurface planning, characterisation, monitoring
- Basin analysis, 3D modelling, monitoring in geoenergy, urban geology, coalfields
- Central Scotland & North Sea Carboniferous stratigraphy and geochronology
- Regional hydrocarbon prospectivity of the Palaeozoic UKCS
- Fellow of The Geological Society, London and Edinburgh Geological Society.
- 2002 : Chartered Geologist
- 2021 : MBE for services to geology