Melanie Leng’s Biography
- Chief Scientist: Environmental Change Adaptation and Resilience
- Science Director, Stable Isotope Facility (part of the NERC National Environmental Isotope Facility NEIF)
- Director of the Centre for Environmental Geochemistry (a collaboration between University of Nottingham and BGS)
- Chair of Isotope Geosciences in the School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham.
- Hirsch Factor: 60 based on 14000+ citations (Google scholar); 45 based on 9000+ citations (Web of Science).
Current projects and collaborations
- Australian Research Council award: East Australian climate extremes through the Holocene. Partner Investigator with the University of Adelaide.
- NERC Large Grant: Integrated understanding of the early Jurassic Earth system and Timescale (JET) with Exeter, Oxford, Leeds et al.
- NERC Standard Grant: Climate change in equatorial Africa: testing the megadrought hypothesis and its implications for human evolution (DeepCHALLA-UK) with Lancaster, Cambridge, Belfact, SUERC
- Newton Fund RCUK-Partnerships Call: Assessing human impacts on the Red River system, Vietnam, to enable sustainable management with University of Nottingham
- NERC Standard Grant: A 500,000-year environmental record from Chew Bahir, south Ethiopia: testing hypotheses of climate-driven human evolution, innovation, and dispersal with Aberystwyth et al.
- Co-PI on the ICDP SCOPSCO project (Lake Ohrid drilling).
- MBE – The Queens Birthday Honours List 2019 – Services to the Environment
- Editorial Board: Quaternary Research
- Editorial board: Frontiers in Geochemistry and Frontiers in Earth Sciences
- Guest Editor for 6 special issues: Quaternary Science Reviews (2004), Earth Science Reviews (2006), Journal of Quaternary Science (2008), Quaternary Science Reviews (2013), Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (2014), Journal of Quaternary Science (2016), Quaternary Science Reviews (2018a), Quaternary Science Reviews (2018b).
- Associate Editor: Nature Science Reports
- Associate Editor: Quaternary Science Reviews
- Associate Editor: Journal of Paleolimnology
- Member of the Quaternary Research Association
Boards and committees
- Board Member: International Continental scientific Drilling Programme (ICDP) Executive Committee
- Board Member: UK Arctic and Antarctic Partnership (UKAAP) Steering Committee
- Centre Advisory Committee member: Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Australian Biodiversity and Heritage 2017-2019
- Early Jurassic Earth System and Timescale (JET) – management group
- External Reviewer for the European Science Foundation College
- Ex-officio Member: NERC Isotope Geosciences Facilities Steering Committee
- Convenor: Isotopes in Biogenic working group
- Member: Quaternary Research Association
- Core Panel Member, NERC Peer Review College
- Board Member: International Continental scientific Drilling Program (ICDP)-International Ocean Discovery Program (IOPD)/European Consortium for Ocean Research Drilling (ECORD) outreach task force.