I look after the Information and Infrastructure Team at the Geological Survey of Northern Ireland, and have a specific role in helping the public to understand the amazing diversity of rocks and landscapes that Northern Ireland has. I am also part of the Communications Team for BGS where I play an active role in internal comms and in science writing.
Kirstin Lemon’s Biography
- 2006 –2012 : Geopark Geologist for the Marble Arch Caves Global Geopark
- 2004 –2006 : Geopark Geologist with the Geological Survey of Northern Ireland
- 2000 –2004 : PhD in Geological Sciences from Durham University. Thesis title: the climatic, eustatic and tectonic controls on the Mid-Carboniferous cycles of Northumbria, England.
Current projects and collaborations
- 2017 – ongoing : Mourne Gullion Geopark Project. Partners: Newry, Mourne and Down District Council.
- 2015 – ongoing : INTERREG VB NPA Drifting Apart. Partners: Causeway Coast and Glens Heritage Trust, Marble Arch Caves Global Geopark, Magma Geopark, Stonehammer Geopark, Kenozero National Park, Rekjanes Aspiring Geopark, Geopark Shetland.
- 2015 – ongoing : Royal Irish Academy Oireachtas and Scientist Pairing Scheme
- 2012 – 2015 : INTERREG IVA Border Uplands Project. Partners: Fermanagh District Council, Cavan County Council, Leitrim County Council, Sligo County Council.
- Lemon, K., Cooper, M.R. and Donald, A. 2017. Rambling on the Rocks: discovering Northern Ireland’s natural landscape. Geological Survey of Northern Ireland.
- Lemon, K. and Roberson, S. 2017. Northern Ireland’s Geodiversity Charter. Geological Survey of Northern Ireland.
- Lemon, K., Raine, R., Roberson, S. Cooper, M.R.C., Reay, D. and Donald, A. 2015. Marble Arch Caves Global Geopark. Exploring the landscape of Fermanagh and Cavan.
- Lemon, K., Collier, U. and Watson, R. 2015. Rocks and Landscapes of the Border Uplands Region.
- Lemon, K. 2015. Belfast Hills Geology.
- Lemon, K., Cooper, M.R.C. 2015. Spurs of Rock. A visitor’s Guide to the geology of the eastern Sperrins
- Lemon, K. 2014. Geology 4 Fun. Discovering Northern Ireland’s Rocks and Landscapes.
- Lemon, K., Cooper, M.R.C., and Power, S. In press. A guide to the geodiversity of Mourne Cooley and Gullion.
- Lemon, K., Raine, R., Roberson, S. Cooper, M.R.C., Reay, D. and Donald, A. In press. Mourne Cooley Gullion. Exploring the landscape of the Mourne and Colley Mountains and the Ring of Gullion.
- Communicating science to the public
- Geological conservation
- Geology and planning
- Geopark and geotourism development
- 2015 – ongoing : Fellow of the Geological Society of London
- 2006 – ongoing : Member of the Earth Science Teachers Association
Boards and committees
- 2018 – ongoing : Chairperson of the UK Global Geopark Committee
- 2016 – ongoing : Member of UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 2015 – ongoing : Member of the UNESCO Global Geopark Evaluation Team
- 2012 – ongoing : Chairperson of the Irish Global Geoparks Committee
- 2012 – ongoing : Geological Society of London Geoconservation Committee
- 2012 – ongoing : Member of the European Geopark Network Coordination Committee