Andrew Kingdon’s Biography
- 2018 – 2018 : Acting UKGEOS Science Lead and Acting Science Director Geoanalytics and Modelling
- 2016 – ongoing : Team Leader Data Analytics
- 2013 – 2016 : Team Leader, Parameterisation, Statistics and Medical Geology
- 2010 – 2013 : Team Leader, Mathematical Modelling
- 2008 – 2016 : Project Leader, BGS PropBase Project
- 2006 – 2008 : Manager, UK National Petrophysical Data Archive and Petrophysicist
- 2004 – 2006 : Outreach Officer ESO, BGS
- 2001 – 2004 : UK IODP Programme Coordinator, BGS
- 1997 – 2001 : UK ODP Programme Manager, BGS
- 1993 – 2008 : Petrophysicist, BGS
- 1991 – 1992 : Petroleum Geologist, BGS Edinburgh
- 1990 – 1991 : MSc University of Leeds, Exploration Geophysics
- 1987 – 1990 : BSc (Hons) Royal Holloway, University of London, Geology
- Development of geoscience Decision Support Systems
- Parameterisation of 3D models
- Petrophysics, petrophysical data management and borehole imaging
- Research into the in-situ stress regime of the UK
Current projects and collaborations
- Hammond, E B, Hallett, S H, Coulon, F, Beriro, D J, and Kingdon, A. 2021. A critical review of decision support systems for brownfield redevelopment: Opportunities for enhancing sustainable brownfield redevelopment. Science of the total Environment. Volume 785, 147132
- Ireland, M T, Brown, R, Wilson, M, Kingdon, A, and Davies, R. 2021. Suitability of legacy oil and gas subsurface data for nascent geoenergy activities onshore United Kingdom. Frontiers in Earth Science.
- Payton, R L, Fellgett, M W, Clarke, B L, Chiarella, D, Kingdon, A, and Hier-Majumder, S. 2021. Pore Scale Assessment of Subsurface Carbon Storage Potential: Implications for the UK Geoenergy Observatories Project. Petroleum Geoscience. petgeo2020-092
- Sun, Y, Payton, R L, Hier-Majumder, S, and Kingdon, A. 2020. Geological Carbon Sequestration by Reactive Infiltration Instability. Frontiers in Earth Sciences. 8:533588. doi: 10.3389/feart.2020.533588
- Fellgett, M W, Kingdon A, Waters C N, Field, L, Shreeve, J, Dobbs M and Ougier-Simonin, A. 2019. Lithological Constraints on Borehole Wall Failure; a Study on the Pennine Coal Measures of the United Kingdom.Front. Earth Sci. 7:163. doi: 10.3389/feart.2019.00163
- Fellgett, M W, Kingdon, A, Williams, J D O, and Gent, C M A. 2018. Stress magnitude across UK regions, a combination of new analysis and legacy data. Marine and Petroleum Geology, V97, Pages 24-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2018.06.016
- Williams, J, Dobbs, M, Kingdon, A, Lark, R, Williamson, J, MacDonald, A and Ó Dochartaigh, B. (n.d.). 2018. Stochastic modelling of hydraulic conductivity derived from geotechnical data; an example applied to central Glasgow. Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1-14. DOI: 10.1017/S1755691018000312
- Heidbach, O, Custodio, S, KINGDON, A, Mariucci, M T, Montone, P, Müller, B, Pierdominici, S Rajabi, M, Reinecker, J, Reiter, K, Tingay, M, Williams, J and Ziegler, M. 2016. Stress Map of the Mediterranean and Central Europe 2016.
- Kingdon, A, Fellgett, M W and Williams, J D O. 2016. Use of borehole imaging to improve understanding of the in-situ stress orientation of Central and Northern England and its implications for unconventional hydrocarbon resources. Marine and Petroleum Geology, DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2016.02.012
- Kingdon, A, Nayembil, M L, Richardson A E and Smith, A G. 2016. A geodata warehouse: Using denormalisation techniques as a tool for delivering spatially enabled integrated geological information to geologists. Computers and Geosciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.cageo.2016.07.016
- Wang, L, Jackson, C R, Pachocka, M and Kingdon, A. 2016. A seamlessly coupled GIS and distributed groundwater flow model. Environmental Modelling & Software 82 (2016) 1-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.04.007
- Bianchi, M, Kearsey, T and Kingdon, A. 2015. Integrating deterministic lithostratigraphic models in stochastic realizations of subsurface heterogeneity. Impact on predictions of lithology, hydraulic heads and groundwater fluxes. Journal of Hydrology, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.10.072
- Kearsey, T, Williams, J, Finlayson, A, Williamson, P, Dobbs, M, Marchant, B, Kingdon, A and Campbell, D. 2015. Testing the application and limitation of stochastic simulations to predict the lithology of glacial and fluvial deposits in Central Glasgow, UK. Engineering Geology, 187. 98-112. DOI: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2014.12.017
- Royse, K R, Bricker, S H, Jackson, C R, Kingdon, A and Hughes, A G. 2015. The development of linked databases and environmental modelling systems for decision-making in London. In: Lollino, Giorgio; Manconi, Andrea; Culshaw, Martin; Bobrowsky, Peter; Luino, Fabio, (eds.) Engineering geology for society and territory, Volume 5, urban geology, sustainable planning and landscape exploitation. Springer, 1195-1199.
- Williams, J D O, Fellgett, M W, Kingdon, A, and Williamson, J P. 2015. In-situ stress orientations in the UK Southern North Sea: regional trends, deviations and detachment of the post-Zechstein stress field. Marine and Petroleum Geology, DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2015.06.008
- Kingdon, A, Giles, J R A and Lowndes, J P. 2014. Future of technology in NERC Data models and informatics: Outputs from InformaTEC, 2014. Model Fusion: Integrating Environmental Models to Solve Real World Problems. Geological Society of London Special Publications, v408, DOI:10.1144/SP408.5
- Royse, K R, Hillier J K, Wang, L, Lee T F, O’Niel, J, Kingdon, A and Hughes, A G. 2014. The application of componentised modelling techniques to catastrophe model generation Environmental Modelling & Software 61 (2014) 65-77. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.07.005
- Royse, K R, Hillier, J K, Hughes, A, Kingdon, A, Singh, A and Wang, L. 2014. The potential for the use of model fusion techniques in building and developing catastrophe models. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, v. 408, DOI: 10.1144/SP408.7
- Evans, D J, Kingdon, A, Hough, E, Reynolds, W and Heitman, N. 2012. First account of resistivity borehole micro-imaging (FMI) to assess the sedimentology and structure of the Preesall Halite, NW England: Journal of the Geological Society, v. 169:587-592, doi:10.1144/0016-76492011-143
- Busby, J P, Kingdon, A and Williams, J D O. 2011. The measured shallow temperature field in Britain. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. v. 44; p. 373-387.
- Kingdon, A, Nayembil, M L, Holmes, K A and Smith, A G. 2010. PropBase QueryLayer: a single portal to UK physical property databases (extended abstract). UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2010, Cardiff, UK, 28–29 Sept 2010. 1–2
- Kingdon, A, Williams, J D O and Williamson, J P. 2010. Modelling of 3D physical property intra-unit heterogeneity of the UK East Midlands for the BGS PropBase project. 2010 Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Colorado, USA, 31 Oct – 3 Nov 2010.
- Kingdon, A, Aldiss, D T and Lawrie, K I G. 2008. Identifying ‘Golden Spike boreholes’ for the National Borehole Information Capture Project Exploiting Geoscience Collections, London, 12–13 May 2008. 22–23.
- Rogers, S F, Bailey, D K and Kingdon, A. 2000. Orientation of drill core by use of borehole geophysical imaging. In Transactions of the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Section B: Applied Earth Science), 109 September – December 2000, B184-190.
- Brereton, N R, Evans, C J and Kingdon, A. 1998. Hydrogeological and geotechnical rock property characterisation from geophysics. Proc. of the Yorkshire Geological Society, Vol. 52, Nov 98.
- Kingdon, A, Evans, C J, Brereton, N R, and Hobbs, P R N. 1996. The comparison of core and geophysical log measurements obtained in the UK Nirex investigation of the Sellafield region. Poster abstract: Core-log Integration meeting. Borehole Research Group of the Geological Society, Burlington House, London, 17-18 September 1996.
- Kingdon, A, Rogers S F, Evans, C J, and Brereton, N R. 1997. The comparison of core and geophysical log measurements obtained in the U.K. Nirex investigation of the Sellafield region. Core–Log integration, Geological Society Special Publication 136 : edited by P.K. Harvey and M.A. Lovell.
- Kingdon, A, and Henson D L. 1996. Progress on Characterising Discontinuities and Stress in the Sellafield Area. Borehole electrical measurements conference. Borehole Research Group of the Geological Society, 30 January 1996, Burlington House, London.
- Borehole image analysis, in-situ stress, core-image-log integration
- Petrophysics, petrophysical data management, data provision and Quality Assurance
- reasonably fluent in French
- 2019 – Chartered Geologist