Thomas Dodd’s Biography
- 2022 – ongoing : Senior Clastic Sedimentologist
- 2016 – 2022 : Petroleum and Sedimentary Geologist British Geological Survey
- 2011 – 2016 : Petroleum Geoscientist British Geological Survey
- 2007 – 2011 : Masters in Geoscience (MGeoSci – 1st Class Hons) Keele University
- 2017 – Ongoing: Falkland Islands Geoscience Consultancy: Project Manager; Petroleum and Sedimentary Geologist. Regional hydrocarbon prospectivity assessments; pre-drill geological report assessments; appraisal drilling analysis; field-scale reservoir analysis.
- 2016 – 2019: Singapore bedrock geology analysis: Sedimentary Geology Lead. Complete revision of the geology of Singapore, including a new lithostratigraphic framework for the nation.
- 2014 – 2016: Falkland Plateau Basin: Petroleum Geoscientist. Regional mapping, hydrocarbon prospectivity and pre/post-drill analysis
- 2013 – 2016: West of Shetland: Petroleum Geoscientist Jurassic to early Cretaceous sedimentology and reservoir potential.
- 2011 – 2017: Analysis of the Sea Lion discovery and appraisal (North Falkland Basin): Petroleum Geoscientist. Technical reservoir studies on the Sea Lion turbidite fan system and in-place hydrocarbons.
- 2012 – 2014: UKCS: Central North Sea hydrocarbon exploration: Petroleum Geoscientist. Hydrocarbon prospectivity; regional seismic mapping; Tertiary fans of the CNS; sub-salt seismic interpretation; license round application processing and critical assessment.
- 2010 – 2011: MGeoSci Thesis: Controls on sedimentation in a marginal-marine to continental setting: Implications for hydrocarbon Entrapment. The Lower Triassic Moenkopi Formation, South-Eastern Utah, USA.
- Deepwater & Shallow Marine Sedimentology
- Lacustrine Basins
- Extensional Tectonics
- Petroleum Geology & Basin Analysis
- Sequence Stratigraphy
- Syn-halokenetic Sedimentation
- Niu, X, Yang, T, Cao, Y, Li, S, Zhou, X, Xi, K, and Dodd, T J H. 2022. Characteristics and formation mechanisms of gravity-flow deposits in a lacustrine depression basin: Examples from the Late Triassic Chang 7 oil member of the Yanchang Formation, Ordos Basin, Central China. Journal of Marine and Petroleum Geology, 148, 106048.
- Dodd, T J H , McCarthy, D J , Amy, L , Plenderleith, G E , and Clarke, S M. 2022. Hybrid event bed character and distribution in the context of ancient deep-lacustrine fan models. Sedimentology, 69, 1891–1926.
- Abouelresh, M O, Mahmoud, M, Radwan, A E, Dodd, T J H, Kong, L, and Hassan, H F. 2022. Characterization and classification of the microporosity in the unconventional carbonate reservoirs: A case study from Hanifa Formation, Jafurah Basin, Saudi Arabia. Marine and Petroleum Geology.
- El-Gendy, N H, Radwan, A E, Waziry, M A, Dodd, T J H, and Barakat, M K. 2022. An integrated sedimentological, rock typing, image logs, and artificial neural networks analysis for reservoir quality assessment of the heterogeneous fluvial-deltaic Messinian Abu Madi reservoirs, Salama Field, onshore East Nile Delta, Egypt. Journal of Marine and Petroleum Geology.
- Plenderleith, G E, Dodd, T J H, and McCarthy, D J. 2022. The effect of breached relay ramp structures on deep-lacustrine sedimentary systems. Basin Research, 34 (3), 1191–1219.
- Zhou, N, Wang, M, Lu, S, Dodd, T J H, Liu, W, and Guan, Y. 2022. Evolution of fractal pore structure in sedimentary rocks. Earth and Space Science, 9, e2021EA002167. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021EA002167.
- Priddy, C L, Regis, A V, Clarke, S M, Leslie, A G, Dodd, T J H. 2021. Localised bank collapse or regional event? – A study of the contorted heterolithic facies observed in the Lower Jurassic Kayenta Formation, Utah and Arizona. Geology of the Intermountain West, (8) 27–44.
- Niu, X, Cao, Y, Dodd, T J H, and Yang, T. 2021. Sedimentary Character of Gravity Flow Deposits in a Lacustrine Depression Basin: Examples from the Late Triassic Chang 7 Member of Yanchang Formation, Ordos Basin, Central China. SSRN Electronic Journal, 10.2139/ssrn.3975144.
- Dodd, T J H, Leslie, A G, Gillespie, M R, Dobbs, M R, Bide, T P, Kendall, R S, Kearsey, T I, Chiam, K, and Goay, M. 2020. Deep to shallow-marine sedimentology and impact of volcanism within the Middle Triassic Palaeo-Tethyan Semantan Basin, Singapore. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 196, 104371.
- Leslie, A G, Dobbs, M R, Ng, T F, Rosle, Q A, Noh, M R M, Dodd, T J H, and Gillespie, M R. 2020. The Ukay Perdana Shear Zone in Kuala Lumpur: a crustal-scale marker for early Jurassic orogenic deformation in Peninsular Malaysia. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Malaysia, 69 (May), 135–147.
- Dodd, T J H, McCarthy, D J, and Clarke, S M. 2020. Clastic injectites, internal structures and flow regime during injection: The Sea Lion Injectite System, North Falkland Basin. Sedimentology, 67(2), 1014–1044.
- Dodd, T J H, McCarthy, D J, and Richards, P C. 2019. A depositional model for deep-lacustrine, partially confined, turbidite fans: Early Cretaceous, North Falkland Basin. Sedimentology, 66(1), 53–80.
- Dodd, T J H, Gillespie, M R, Leslie, A G, Kearsey, T I, Kendall, R S, Bide, T P, Dobbs, M R, Millar, I L, Lee, M K W, Chiam, K, and Goay, M. 2019. Paleozoic to Cenozoic sedimentary bedrock geology and lithostratigraphy of Singapore. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 180, 103878.
- Leslie, A G, Dodd, T J H, Gillespie, M R, Kendall, R S, Bide, T P, Kearsey, T I, Dobbs, M R, Lee, M K L, and Chiam, K. 2019. Ductile and brittle deformation in Singapore: A record of Mesozoic orogeny and amalgamation in Sundaland, and of post-orogenic faulting. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 181, 103890.
- Gillespie, M R, Kendall, R S, Leslie, A G, Millar, I L, Dodd, T J H, Kearsey, T I, Goodenough, K M, Lee, M K W, and Chiam, K. 2019. The igneous rocks of Singapore: new insights to Palaeozoic and Mesozoic assembly of the Sukhothai Arc. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 183, 103940
- Zuchuat, V, Sleveland, A R, Pettigrew, R P, Dodd, T J H, Clarke, S M, Rabbel, O, Braathen, A, and Midtkandal, I. 2019. Overprinted allocyclic processes by tidal resonance in an epicontinental basin: the upper Jurassic Curtis Formation, east‐central Utah, USA. The Depositional Record, 5(2), 272–305.
- Jones, D J, McCarthy, D J, and Dodd, T J H. 2019. Tectonostratigraphy and the petroleum systems in the Northern sector of the North Falkland Basin, South Atlantic. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 103, 150–162.
- Sequence Stratigraphy
- Petroleum Geology
- Sedimentary Basins
- Geological Mapping
- Field Geology
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Regional Geology
- Seismic Sequence Stratigraphy
- Seismic Interpretation
- Seismic Interpretation Suites: IHS Kingdom, Halliburton Landmark
- Oilfield Database Management: ODM/IC(Senergy)
- Geographic Information Systems & Mapping: ArcGis
- Other: Microsoft Office, Corel Draw
- 2021 – present: Volume Editor, Special Publication 527, Journal of Geological Society of London
- 2021 – present: Chartered Geologist, Geological Society of London
- 2020 – present: Associate Editor, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences: X
- 2019 – present: Honorary Research Associate (HRA), Royal Holloway, University of London
- 2017 – present: Fellow of the Geological Society of London
- 2010 – present: Member of the International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS)
- 2011 – present: Member of the British Sedimentological Research Group (BSRG)
- 2011 – 2021: Member of the Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain (PESGB)