Roxana is a trained geographer with a background in Environmental Geological Engineering and Geohazards. Her main research interest lies in analysing the impact of shallow geohazards on communities and the built environment, taking into account future environmental and socio-economic change. She is particularly keen on integrating different tools and techniques, from geomorphological mapping and spatial analysis to statistical and numerical modelling, for assessing vulnerability and loss to multiple hazards with an outlook towards their spatial and temporal interaction. With her work, Roxana hopes to contribute towards bridging the gap between what is known about geohazard risks and their mitigation and how research findings are translated into effective applications in Disaster Risk Reduction
Roxana Ciurean’s Biography
- 2018 – ongoing : Geohazard Scientist, Shallow Geohazards and Risks Team, BGS
- 2017 –2018 : Scientific Editor, Cactus Communications Ltd
- 2017 : External Expert, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- 2015 : Visiting Early Stage Researcher, University of Lausanne
- 2012 –2016 : PhD in Geography, University of Vienna. Thesis: Vulnerability and loss assessment of buildings to hydro-meteorological hazards
- 2012 –2014 : Marie Curie Fellow, ITN CHANGES Project
- 2010 –2012 : MSc Environmental Geology and Geohazards, University of Oslo
- 2007 –2009 : MSc Environmental Geological Engineering, University of Bucharest
- 2007 –2010 : Researcher, Geological Institute of Romania
- 2003 –2007 : BA Geography and Spanish Language, University of Bucharest
- Landslide modelling, hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment
- Uncertainty and consequence analysis
- Multi-hazard risk assessment
- Remote sensing and GIS applied in hazard risk analysis
- DRR and sustainable development under environmental and socio-economic change
- Knowledge management in DRR
Current projects and collaborations
- 2019 –2021 : FRESCO Project: Research into methods to collect data on socio-economic impacts of severe weather events in India (MetOffice WCSSP IND6)
- 2019 –2021 : PhiGO Project: Philippines Groundwater Outlook (NERC grant NE/S003118/1)
- 2018 –2021 : METEOR Project: Modelling Exposure Through Earth Observation Routines (UK Space Agency)
- Ciurean R L, Gill, J, Reeves, H J, O’Grady, S, Aldridge, T. 2018. Review of multi-hazards research and risk assessments British Geological Survey Open Report, OR/18/057. 86pp.
- Ciurean R L, Hussin H, van Westen C J, Jaboyedoff M, Nicolet P, Chen L, and Glade T. 2016. Multiscale debris flow vulnerability assessment and direct loss estimation of buildings in the Eastern Italian Alps, Natural Hazards.
- Chen L, van Westen C J, Hussin H, Ciurean R L, Turkington T, Chavarro-Rincon D, Shrestha D P. 2016. Integrating expert opinion with modelling for quantitative multi-hazard risk assessment in the Eastern Italian Alps, Geomorphology.
- Aye Z C, Jaboyedoff M, Derron M H, van Westen C J, Hussin H Y, Ciurean R L, Frigerio S, and Pasuto A. 2016. An interactive web-GIS tool for risk analysis: a case study in the Fella River basin, Italy, NHESS.
- Micu M, Jurchescu M, Șandric I, Mărgărit M C, Chițu Z, Micu D, Ciurean R L, Ilinca V and Vasile M. 2016. Mass Movements, In: Rădoane M., Vespremeanu-Stroe A. (eds.) Landform Dynamics and Evolution in Romania, Springer.
- Godfrey A, Ciurean R L, van Westen C J, Kingma N, Glade T. 2015. Assessing vulnerability of buildings to hydro-meteorological hazards using an expert-based approach – An application in Nehoiu Valley, Romania, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Eidsvig U, McLean A, Vangelsten B V, Kalsnes B, Ciurean R L, Argyroudis S, Winter M, Mavrouli O C, Fotopoulou S, Pitilakis K, Baills A, Malet J P, Kaiser G. 2014. Assessment of socioeconomic vulnerability to landslides using an indicator-based approach: methodology and case studies, Bull Eng Geol Environment.
- Hussin H Y, Ciurean R L, Frigerio S, Marcato G, Calligaris C, Reichenbach P, Van Westen C J and Glade T. 2014. Assessing the effect of mitigation measures on landslide hazard using 2D numerical runout modelling , In: Sassa K, Canuti P, Yin Y, (eds.) Landslide Science for a Safer Geoenvironment, Springer.
- Jaedicke C, Van Den Eeckhaut M, Nadim F, Hervás J, Kalsnes B, Vangelsten B V, Smith J, Tofani v, Ciurean R L, Winter M, Sverdrup-Thygeson K, Syre E, Smebye H. 2014. Identification of landslide hazard and risk ‘hotspots’ in Europe, Bull Eng Geol Environment.
- Ciurean R L, Schröter D, Glade T. 2013. Conceptual Frameworks of Vulnerability Assessments for Natural Disasters Reduction, IntechOpen.