Mihai Octavian Cimpoiasu’s Biography
- 2020 – ongoing: PDRA Geophysicist, British Geological Survey
- 2016 – 2020: PhD Soil Science, University of Nottingham
- 2012 – 2016: BSc Geophysics, University of Edinburgh
- SUN SPEARS – Sensors UNder snow-Seasonal Processes in the Evolution of ARctic Soils – As glaciers retreat, the role of Arctic soils is becoming increasingly important in the global carbon budget. Their evolution is shaped by seasonal processes, which currently are largely unexplored because harsh weather conditions restrict field campaigns to the summer period. This collaborative project between US and UK researchers aims to measure biological, hydrologic, and chemical activity under the winter and spring snowpack, in soils near a retreating glacier in Svalbard, Norway, via continuously operated sensors and repeated field measurements. For the first time, this will enable us to quantitatively examine and model the development of Arctic soils.
- Cimpoiasu, M O, Kuras, O, Pridmore, T, and Mooney, S J. 2021. Hydrodynamic characterization of soil compaction using integrated electrical resistivity and X-ray computed tomography. Vadose Zone Journal, https://doi.org/10.1002/vzj2.20109.
- Cimpoiasu, M O, Kuras, O, Pridmore, T, and Mooney, S J. 2020. Potential of geoelectrical methods to monitor root zone processes and structure: a review. Georderma, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2020.114232.
- Cimpoiasu, M O, Kuras, O, Pridmore, T, and Mooney, S J. 2020. A pedophysical relationship between X-ray Computed Tomography and Electrical Resistivity data. Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, https://doi.org/10.2113/JEEG19-079.
- Programming languages: Python, C++
- University of Nottingham PhD student presentation prize (1st – 2019; 3rd – 2017)