I work as a Core Scanning Technician for the Core Scanning Facility (CSF) within the British Geological Survey. The role is primarily based in the CSF requiring sample and machine preparation on a variety of drillcore scanners as well as detailed post-processing, particularly for CT rendering and XRF spectral analysis.
The role is secondarily based in the National Geological Repository (NGR) where I help manage the flow of sample material between the CSF and NGR including core photography and forklift assistance. I graduated university in 2021 with a MGeol in Geology, with my thesis focusing on understanding the propagation of blast waves by analysing raw data and interpreting rock quality based on the presence of discontinuities and sedimentary features.
- 2022 – ongoing: Core Scanning Technician at the British Geological Survey
- 2021 – 2022: Aggregate Laboratory Technician at ACS Group of Companies
- 2017 – 2021: MGeol Geology (1st) at the University of Leicester
- Digital rock property analysis
- Drillcore scanning and processing
- X-ray Fluorescence analysis (XRF)
- Experience using ArcGIS
- Basic experience coding using Python
- Forklift and VNA certified