Vanessa Banks’s Biography
- 2012 – ongoing : Team Leader Shallow Geohazards and Risks
- 2007 : PhD University of Huddersfield: Karst Hydrogeology of the southern catchment of the River Wye, Derbyshire
- 2005 – ongoing : Engineering Geologist/ Karst Hydrogeologist
- 2001 –2004 : Research Assistant University of Huddersfield
- 2000 : Certificate in Field Archaeology and Landscape History, University of East Anglia
- 1994 –2005 : Principal Geoenvironmental Engineer at RSA Geotechnics Limited
- 1990 –1994 : Senior Geotechnical Engineer at A.F. Howland Associates
- 1989 : Geotechnical Engineer at May Gurney Technical Services Limited
- 1988 –1989 : Geotechnical Engineer at C H Dobbie and Partners
- 1988 : MSc and DIC Imperial College, University of London, Engineering Geology
- 1984 : BSc (Hons) Victoria University of Manchester. Geology
- 1984 –1987 : Consultant Geologist at M J Carter Associates
- Application of the concepts of hydrogeological domains and urban hydrology to 3D modelling to support aquifer recharge and vulnerability studies
- Characterising the hydraulic properties of mine waste
- Conceptual ground models and their attribution with engineering and hydrogeological domains
- Landscape evolution with a focus on karst erosion, uplift, river terrace deposits, knick point migration, tufa and talus deposits
- Palaeohydrogeology of the Peak District.
- Stratigraphical and structural influences on hydrogeology and engineering geology: the implications for conceptual models
- The application of synoptic monitoring (flow and chemistry) of surface water to discriminate between point and diffuse contaminant source contributions to the environmental impacts of abandoned mines
Current projects and collaborations
- BGS shallow geohazards and risks team lead
- Project management: BGS Karst project
- 2019 : University of Malaya: Elanni Affandi PhD supervisor: Urban Geology of Kuala Lumpur
- 2018 : Co-investigator: Coal Authority funded DIFFUSE project investigating mine spoil properties
- 2018 : University of Sheffield: Gabriella Williams PhD supervisor: Sinkhole triggering processes.
- 2016 : Co-Investigator Innovate UK Might Newton-Ungku Omar Funded Disaster Resilient Cities: Forecasting Local Level Climate Extremes and Physical Hazards for Kuala Lumpur
- 2016 : Investigation of gypsum related sinkholes in Ripon, Yorkshire
- 2011 : University of Bologna: student work experience and the application of passive seismic to karst research.
- 2011 : Visiting Research Associate at the University of Derby: Applied Geology
NERC Open Research Archive — Dr Vanessa Banks
Banks,V J, Ward, R S, Patton, A M, and Hulbert, A. 2015. Quick Scoping Review: Impact of contaminated land on controlled waters. Commissioned Research Report CR/14/126. Client: DEFRA
2019 : Banks, V J, Palumboe-Roe, and Russell, C E. 2019. The Hyporheic Zone. Intech Open. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.85218 21 pp
2018 : Walsh, P T, Banks, V J, Jones, P F, Pound, M J, and Riding, J B. 2018. A reassessment of the Brassington Formation (Miocene) of Derbyshire, UK and a review of related hypogene karst-suffosion processes. Journal of the Geological Society of London ( Published Online First https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2017-029 )
2017 : Bricker, S H, Banks, V J, Galik, G, Tapete, D, and Jones, R. 2017. Accounting for groundwater in future city visions. Land Use Policy, 69. 618-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.09.018
2015 : Banks, V J, Bricker, S H, Royse, K R, and Collins, P E F. 2015. Anomalous buried hollows in London: development of a hazard susceptibility map. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 48, 1, 55-70. http://doi:10.1144/qjegh2014-037
2014 : Banks, V J, and Jones, P F. 2014. Measurement of rates of surface lowering of limestone in the southern Pennines: a case study in the Wye catchment, Derbyshire, UK. Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association. 125, 1, 20-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pgeola.2013.10.006.
2011 : Banks, V J, Jones, P F, Lowe, D J, Lee, J R, Rushton, J, and Ellis, M A. 2011. Review of tufa deposition and palaeohydrological conditions in the White Peak, Derbyshire, UK: Implications for Quaternary landscape evolution. Proc. Geol. Assoc. (2011), doi:10.1016/j.pgeola.2011.03.011
2010 : Banks, V J, and Palumboe-Roe, B. 2010. Synoptic monitoring as an approach to discriminating between point and diffuse source contributions to zinc loads in mining impacted catchments. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 12, 1684-1698. DOI:10.1039/c0em00045k.
2010 : Rushton, J C, and Banks, V J. 2010. Characterization of mine waste: A case study of Frongoch tailings. Goldschmidt Conference Abstracts, Geochosmica. A892.
2009 : Banks, V J, Gunn, J, and Lowe, D J. 2009. Investigation of stratigraphical influences on the limestone hydrogeology of the Wye catchment, Derbyshire. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology 42, 211-225.
2009 : Nathanail, J, and Banks, V J. 2009. Climate Change: Implications for engineering geology practice in: Engineering Geology for Tomorrow’s Cities. Geological Society Special Publication22. 65-82.
- Applied Geology: engineering geology and hydrogeology
- Change Facilitation
- Staff development
- Characterising environmental impacts of Abandoned Mines
- Contaminated land/ impacts of land use investigation
- Karst hydrogeology research
- Chartered Geologist
- 2016 – ongoing:NERC Fellowship: NE/P012051/1 Dwr Cymru Welsh Water (DCWW) Internship. Aiming to exchange knowledge with staff at DCWW to ensure that there is an integrated geological and hydrogeological understanding for managing water at the catchments scale, to increase water availability and quality
- Member of the Education Committee of the Geological Society of London
- Member of: the Geological Society of Norfolk; East Midlands Geological Society; Quaternary Research Association
- 2007 –2010 : Chair of the East Midlands Regional Group of the Geological Society of London (2007 – 2010)
Boards and committees
- 2019 : Senior Vice-President of the Geologists’ Association
- 2014 – ongoing : Appointed to the Board of the Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association
- 2014 –2017 : President of the East Midlands Geological Society