Scale:1:1 000 000
Format:GIS polygon data (ESRI, MapInfo)
Uses:Regional- to national-level use
This legacy dataset contains a series of maps showing the potential of the UK onshore coal resources for exploitation by both conventional (mining) and new technologies. The data available here is a facsmilie of the maps that were originally published in 2004.
The mining technologies shown on the maps include:
- underground and opencast mining
- coal mine methane (CMM)
- abandoned mine methane (AMM)
The new technologies shown on the maps include:
- underground coal gasification (UCG)
- virgin coalbed methane (VCBM)
- coal seam-related carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration
These maps are the result of the ‘Study of the UK coal resource for new exploitation technologies’ project.