Christopher Williams’s Biography
- 2017 – ongoing : Geospatial Analysis Lead, British Geological Survey
- 2014 – 2017 : Postdoctoral Researcher, Glaciology, University of Bristol
- 2013 – 2014 : Postdoctoral Researcher, Glaciology, Swansea University
- 2009 – 2013 : PhD, Glaciology, University of Leeds
- 2006 – 2009 : BSc (Hons), 1st Class, Geography, Newcastle University
- Systems science – opportunities for cross-disciplinary data integration
- Environmental change and associated impacts (socially, ecologically)
- Terrain analysis – geomorphometrics
- Environmental process modelling (space and time)
- Quaternary environments and associated processes
- Data infrastructure framework and best practice development
- 2014 – 2017 : Synthetic Channel Mesh development (R)
- 2013 – 2017 : Linear Feature Mapper (Python)
- Schrodt, F, Bailey, J J, Kissling, W D, Rijsdijk, K F, Seijmonsbergen, A C, van Ree, D, Hjort, J, Lawley, R S, Royse, K R, Williams, C N, Anderson, M, Beier, P, van Beukering, P, Boyd, D S, Brilha, J, Carcavilla, L, Dahlin, K M, Gill, J C, Gordon, J E, Gray, M, Grundy, M, Hunter, M L, Lawler, J J, Monge-Ganuzas, M, Stewart, I, Record, S, Turner, W, Zarnetske, P L, and Field, R. 2019. Opinion: To advance sustainable stewardship, we must document not only biodiversity but geodiversity. PNAS, 116 (33).
- Jordan, T, Williams, C, et al. 2018. A constraint upon the basal water distribution and basal thermal state of the Greenland Ice Sheet from radar bed-echoes. The Cryosphere.
- Morlighem, M, Williams, C. N, et al. 2017. BedMachine v3: Complete bed topography and ocean bathymetry mapping of Greenland from multi-beam echo sounding combined with mass conservation. Geophysical Research Letters.
- Williams, C N, et al. 2017. Generating synthetic fjord bathymetry for coastal Greenland. The Cryosphere.
- Jordan, T M, Bamber, J L, Williams, C N, Paden, J D, Siegert, M J, Huybrechts, P, Gagliardini, O, and Gillet-Chaulet, F. 2016. An ice-sheet wide framework for englacial attenuation from ice penetrating radar data. The Cryosphere. 10, 1547-1570.
- Williams, C, et al. 2016. Quantifying uncertainty in using multiple datasets to determine spatiotemporal ice mass loss over 101 years at Kårsaglaciären, sub-arctic Sweden. Geografiska Annaler: Series A, Physical Geography. 98(1), 61–79.
Open source software
2014 – 2017 : Synthetic Channel Mesh development (R)
2013 – 2017 : Linear Feature Mapper (Python)
GeoCode (My personal geo-related blog)
- Geospatial analysis (QGIS, ArcGIS, GDAL/OGR, SAGA, GRASS)
- Programming/scripting (Python, R)
- Data cleaning, integration and manipulation (including vector/raster)
- Numerical modelling (environmental, statistics)
- Field based data collection techniques in geomorphology/glaciology/hydrology
- Project management