Tel: 0131 650 0261
E-mail Helen Bonsor
- 2008–present: Hydrogeologist, British Geological Survey
- 2008: MSc University of Birmingham, Hydrogeology
- 2007: BSc University of St Andrews, Geoscience
- International groundwater resources — issues of demand, vulnerability and access
- Use of remote sensing data in groundwater science
- Impact of climate change to groundwater
- Providing science and data to underpin groundwater management in the UK
- Groundwater flooding — groundwater and catchment science
- Sedimentological research in NW Highlands and associated field mapping – examining the tectonic setting of the Neoproterozoic Moine and Torridon Supergroups in Scotland.
- Geological field mapping and ArcGIS
- Data management
- Groundwater modelling – ZOOM modelling suite
- Science communication
Current projects and collaboration
- Groundwater resilience to climate change in Africa: DFID funded research to improve the understanding of the resilience of African groundwater to climate change and links to livelihoods.
- Scoping study of the likely impact of climate change to water resources in sub-Saharan Africa and SE Asia (WaterAid).
- Interpretation of GRACE data in the Nile River Basin: modelling basinal-scale water mass variation and groundwater recharge.
- Vulnerability of shallow wells in sub-Saharan Africa to increased demand and climate change.
- Baseline Scotland: Surveying baseline chemistry of groundwater in Scotland.
- Hydrogeology of the Glasgow urban area – groundwater monitoring.
- Mapping groundwater flooding susceptibility
- Sedimentology of the Moine Supergroup, Scotland.
- 2008–present: Member of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH)
- 2008–present: Member of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS)
- 2008–present: Ordinary Fellow of the Edinburgh Geological Society
- 2004–present: Fellow of The Geological Society, London (FGS)
BONSOR, H. C., Strachan, R. A., Prave, A. R. and Krabbendam, M. (2010) Fluvial braidplain to shallow marine transition in the early Neoproterozoic Morar Group, Fannich Mountains, northern Scotland, Precambrian Research, 183; 4; 791-804.
BONSOR, H C, MacDonald, A M and Calow, R C (2010) Potential impact of climate change on improved and unimproved water supplies in Africa, Chapter in: Sustainable Water, Issues in Environmental Science and Technology, Royal Society of Chemistry, 192 pp.
ODI-BGS report. In review. (2010) Climate change, water resources and WASH: a scoping study for WaterAid. Overseas Development Institute (ODI) report.
BONSOR, H C and Ó Dochartaigh B É (2010) Groundwater monitoring in urban areas – a pilot investigation in Glasgow, UK, British Geological Survey Internal Report IR/10/020. 41 pp.
BONSOR, H.C. and Prave, A. R. (2008) The Upper Morar Psammite of the Moine Supergroup, Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Scotland: depositional setting, tectonic implications, Scottish Journal of Geology, 44; 2: 111-122.