Patrick Bell’s Biography
- 1992 – BSc (Hons) 1st class, UCW Aberystwyth, Geography
- 1993 – GIS developer, Forestry Commission
- 1993 – MSc (Distinction), UCW Aberystwyth, Computer Science
- 1996 – GIS and web systems specialist, British Geological Survey
- 2008 – Team Leader of Web Systems
- 2013 – Team Leader of Information Systems
- Web-based information delivery services
- Social media harvesting
- Scanned imagery and other digital asset delivery
- Data services for mobile devices
- Web-based collaborative working
- Real-time data delivery
- Spatial data web services and INSPIRE
- Web mapping
- Spatial data infrastructures
Current projects and collaborations
NERC Open Research Archive — Patrick Bell
Powell, J, Nash, G, Bell, P. 2013. GeoExposures: documenting temporary geological exposures in Great Britain through a citizen-science web site. Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association, Volume 124, Issue 4, June 2013, Pages 638–647 DOI information: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pgeola.2012.04.004
Powell, J, Nash, G, Bell, P. 2011. Glimpses of the past. Geoscientist, 21 (11). 7.
Shelley, W, Marchant, A, Bell, P, Westhead, K. 2011. BGS serves up data-to-go. Geoconnexion UK, Sept/Oct 2011. 70-71.
Westhead, K, Bell, P, Jordan, C, Kingdon, A. 2010. From watercolour to web. Earthwise, 26. 12-13.
Adlam, K A M, Bell, P D, Wildman, G, Laxton, J L, Smith, N A, Skarpeli, S, Tsamouras, S. 2006. The development of a Geoinformation System for IGME. Proc. 21st Conference for ESRI Users, Athens, Greece.
Bell, P D, Careless, J M, Pedley, R C, Smith, N A, Wood, B. 2003. A web-based spatial index to the data holdings of the Geological Survey of Ireland: technical documentation. BGS Commissioned Report CR/03/104.
Mankelow, J M, Hatton, W H, Highley, D E, Colman, T B, Passmore, J H, Bell, P D. 2002. The application of mineral information management and delivery systems in the sustainable management of mineral resources. SCOTT, P W & BRISTOW, C M (eds) Industrial Minerals and Extractive Industry Geology. Geological Society, London.
Bell, P D, Adlam, K A M, Bury, A, Cannell, B, Careless, J M, Passmore, J H, Pedley, R C. 2000. BGS-geoIDS – An Analysis of ESRI’s ArcIMS 3.0 and its suitability for implementing a web-based Geoscience Database Index. Technical Report IR/00/11
Bell, P D, Passmore, J H, Riddick, A T. 2000. The BGS intranet : delivering data to the geologists’ desk : In: Earthwise No. 16 (2000) p. 28-29
Rees, J G, Bell, P D, Newsham, R. 1998. Modelling Holocene accommodation space and sediment storage within the Humber Estuary : British Geological Survey, Marine Report Series, Technical Report WB/98/052
Quine, C P, Mackie, A L, & Bell, P D. 1997. In the Woods with GPS. Mapping Awareness, 11(1), 28-32.
Bell, P D, Quine, C P, & Wright, J A. 1995. The Use of Digital Terrain Models to Calculate Windiness Scores for the Windthrow Hazard Classification. Scottish Forestry, 49(4), 217-225.
- Project management
- Application development management
- Spatial data infrastructures
- Server GIS development
- Web development
- 2010 – Esri UK Innovation in Central Government (Highly commended): OpenGeoscience
- 2011 – Esri UK Innovation in Central Government (Highly commended): iGeology
- 2011 – ESRI International storytelling with maps – 3rd place for Best Mobile App
- 2011 – ESRI International storytelling with maps – 1st place Community Favorite winner for Best Mobile App
- 2011 – AGI Innovation & Best Practice (Highly commended): iGeology
- 2013 – Esri UK Conference Best presentation
- 2014 – AGI Award for Geospatial Excellence with Impact: UK Soil Observatory