Benjamin Marchant’s Biography
- 2018 – ongoing : Statistics-Lead, British Geological Survey
- 2012 – 2018 : Environmental Statistician, British Geological Survey, UK
- 2004 – 2012 : Research Scientist, Rothamsted Research, UK
- 2000 – 2004 : Research Scientist, Silsoe Research Institute, UK
- 1997 – 1999 : DPhil University of Oxford. Thesis title “Modelling Cell Invasion”.
- 1996 – 1997 : MSc Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, University of Oxford
- 1993 – 1996 : BSc Applied Mathematics, University of Warwick
Current projects and collaborations
- 2019 – ongoing : Integrating soil and remote sensing data, Ensemble Network (EPSRC), Principal Investigator
- 2019 – ongoing : Issues of uncertainty and scale in derived products, NERC, Principal Investigator
- 2019 – ongoing : The Groundwater Droughts Network, NERC International Opportunities Fund. Co-investigator.
- 2018 – ongoing : Developing an innovative approach to monitoring soil health in England and Wales, Defra. Co-investigator (BGS Lead).
- 2018 – ongoing : Future Secular Changes & Remediation of Groundwater Arsenic in the Ganga River Basin, Newton Bhabha DST-RUK India-UK Water Quality Programme. Co-Investigator.
- 2018 – 2019 : Agronomic Big Data for improved crop management. Innovate UK and BBSRC. Co-investigator (BGS lead).
- 2013 – 2017 : AGRONOMICS: Collaborative project led by ADAS which seeks to establish a new approach to field-scale agricultural experimentation.
- Marchant, B, Rudolph, S, Roques, S, Kindred, D, Gillingham, V, Welham, S, Coleman, C, and Sylvester-Bradley, R. 2019. Establishing the precision of farmers’ crop experiments. Field Crops Research, 230, 231-245.
- Marchant, B P, and Bloomfield, J P. 2018. Spatio-temporal modelling of the status of groundwater droughts. Journal of Hydrology, 564, 397-413.
- Marchant, B P. 2018. Model-based geostatistics. In: McBratney, A.B., Minasny, B., Stockmann, U. (eds), Pedometrics: A system of quantitative soil information. Springer.
- Marchant, B P, Saby, N P A, and Arrouays, D. 2017. A survey of topsoil arsenic and mercury concentrations across France. Chemosphere, 181, 635-644.
- Minasny, B, Marchant, B P, et al. 2017. Soil carbon 4 pour mille. Geoderma, 292, 59-86.
- Marchant, B P, Mackay, J, and Bloomfield, J. 2016. Quantifying uncertainty in predictions of groundwater levels using formal likelihood methods. Journal of Hydrology, 540, 699-711.
- 2019 – 2019 : Geostatistical Modelling Work for East of Gannet and Montrose Fields NCMPA, Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Spatial statistics
- Time series analysis
- Mathematical modelling
- Machine Learning
- 2010 IUSS Pedometrics Commission Best Paper Award
- 2009 IUSS Pedometrics Commission Best Paper Award
- 2007 Best paper in Mathematical Geology journal
Boards and committees
- 2013 – ongoing : Associate editor of Geoderma.
- 2011 –2018 : Secretary of the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) Working Group on Soil Monitoring