- 2013 – ongoing: Laboratory Manager – Transport Properties Research Laboratory
- 2009 – ongoing: Transport Properties Research Laboratory, BGS
- 2005 – 2010: PhD in Rock Mechanics, University of Edinburgh, ‘Scale model seismicity: a detailed study of deformation localisation by acoustic emission data’
- 2004 – 2005: MRes in Physics of the Earth and Atmosphere (Volcano-seismology), University of Leeds
- 2000 – 2004: BSc (Hons) in Geophysics, University of Edinburgh
- Multi-phase fluid flow in low permeability geomaterials
- Seal behaviour/integrity in geological storage of carbon dioxide (CCS)
- Rock and soil mechanics
- Geological storage of radioactive waste
- Experimental design
- Acoustic emissions and associated micromechanics
- Science futures
Current projects and collaboration
- Co-Investigator: CONTAIN (The impact of hydrocarbon depletion on the treatment of caprocks within performance assessment for CO2 injection schemes ) – EPSRC
- Green River Natural Analogue Project – DECC
- Supercritical flow in seals – BGS
- Gas flow in bentonite – SKB (Sweden)
- Transport properties of Opalinus Clay – Nagra (Switzerland)
- Nuclear Decommissioning Agency (UK)
- Deputy WP lead: ULTimateCO2 (Understanding the Long Term fate of geologically stored CO2 – FP7 Energy)
- Member of GeoRepNet (STFC network grant)
- FORGE (Fate of Repository Gas Emissions) – FP7 Euratom
- Member of UKCCSRC
Cuss, R J, Harrington, J, Noy, D, Graham, C C, and Sellin, P. (In press). Evidence of localised gas propagation pathways in a field-scale bentonite engineered barrier system; results from three gas injection tests in the Large scale gas injection test (Lasgit), Applied Clay Science.
Graham, C C, Harrington, J F, Cuss, R J, and Sellin, P. 2014. Pore-pressure cycling experiments on Mx80 bentonite. In: Norris, S, Bruno, J, Cathelineau, M, Delage, P, Fairhurst, C, Gaucher, E C, Höhn, E H, Kalinichev, A, Lalieux, P, and Sellin, P. (eds) Clays in Natural and Engineered Barriers for Radioactive Waste Confinement. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 400, doi: 10.1144/SP400.32.
Aydin, A, Dobbs, M R, Reeves, H J, Graham, C C, and Kirkham, M P. 2013. Measuring stress induced electric field in sandstone and granite using the Electric Potential Sensor. Proceedings, Eurock 2013, 21 – 26th September 2013, Wroclaw, Poland.
Aydin, A, Dobbs, M R, Reeves, H J, Kirkham, M P, Graham, C C, and Jefferson, I. 2013. Electric field in compressed concrete using the Electric Potential Sensor. Second Conference on Smart Monitoring, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Civil Structures, Istanbul, Turkey.
Aydin, A, Dobbs, M R, Reeves, H J, Kirkham, M P, and Graham, C C. 2013. Stress induced electric field measurements of different rock lithology using the Electric Potential Sensor. 47th US Rock Mechanics / Geomechanics Symposium. San Francisco, USA.
Cuss, R J, Harrington, J F, Noy, D J, Graham, C C, and, Sellin, P. 2013. Gas flow in compact bentonite. Gas Generation and Migration. International Symposium and Workshop. Proceedings, Luxembourg, Pg 29.
Graham, C C, Stanchits, S, Dresen, G, and Main, I G. 2007. Source mechanisms of acoustic emissions in triaxially loaded granite, Geophysical Research Abstracts, 9, 08485.
Graham, C C, Harrington, J F, Cuss, R J, and Sellin, P. 2012. Gas migration experiments in bentonite: implications for numerical modelling. Mineralogical Magazine. December 2012, Vol. 76(8), pp.3279-3292, doi: 10,1180/minmag.2012.076.8.41.
Cuss, R J, Harrington, J F, Graham, C C, Sathar, S, and Milodowski, T. 2012. Observations of stable high-pressure differentials in clay-rich materials; implications for the concept of effective stress. Mineralogical Magazine, Vol. 76(8), pp.3115-3129.
Harrington, J F, Milodowski, A E, Graham, C C, Rushton, J C, and Cuss, R J. 2012. Evidence for gas-induced pathways in clay using a nanoparticle injection technique. Mineralogical Magazine, Vol. 76(8), pp.3327-3336.
Lennartz,S, Main, I G, Zaiser, M, Graham, C C, and Bell, A F. 2011. The Approach to Critical Crack Growth in Earth Materials, Abstract 2011 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 5-9 Dec
Harrington, J, Birchall, D, Noy, D, Cuss, R J, and Graham, C C. 2011. Consolidation and mass transport properties of the Nordland Shale, Geophysical Research Abstracts, 13, 12688.
Graham, C C, Stanchits, S, Dresen, G, and Main, I G. 2010. Comparison of polarity and moment tensor inversion methods for source analysis of acoustic emission data, International Journal of Rock Mechanics & Mining Sciences, 47, 161-169, DOI:10.1016/J.IJRMMS.2009.05.002.
Graham, C C, and Harrington, J F.(2014. Final Report of FORGE 3.2.1: Key gas Migration Process in Compact Bentonite, BGS Commissioned Report, FORGE FP7 D3.33, CR/14/064, 60pp.
Graham, C C, Cuss, R J, and Wiseall, A. 2014. Shear rig experiments on transport behaviour of fractured rock, Chapter 2, In: Adelinet, M, Nauroy, J-F, Graham, C C, Cuss, R J, and Wiseall, A C, Bakker, E, Spiers, C J, and Hangx, S J T, D4.5 – Progress report with data on processes, constitutive relations and parameters for modelling work, Understanding the Long-Term fate of geologically stored CO2 (ULTimateCO2), FP-7 Energy Project No. 281196. Project acronym: ULTimateCO2, 13pp.
Graham, C C, Harrington, J F, and Cuss, R J. 2014. Gas migration in bentonite – fundamental issues, Chapter 10 in FORGE FP7 WP3 Final Report D3.38: Experiments and modelling on the behaviour of EBS, 33pp.
Graham, C C, Cuss ,R J, and Reeves, H. 2014. Mechanical and transport properties of caprock with pre-existing fractures and induced faults, Part 2 in: Dautriat, J, Graham, C C, Cuss, R J, Reeves, H J, Bakker, E, and Spiers, C J, D4.4: Recommendations on processes, constitutive relations and parameter choices for modelling work, Understanding the Long-Term fate of geologically stored CO2 (ULTimateCO2), FP-7 Energy Project No. 281196, 46pp.
Chambers, J, Goodenough, K M, Graham, C C, Price, S J, Weatherby, A, Sanders, R, Perry, F, Porter, L, Bloomfield, J P, Jordan, C J, Laxton, J L, Shelley, W A, Naden, J, Watts, M, Condon, D, and Barkwith, A K A P. 2013. NERC Science: Future Impacts Summary Report. British Geological Survey Open Report, OR/13/037. 16pp.
Barkwith, A K A P, Chambers, J E, Goodenough, K M, Graham, C C, Laxton, J L, Naden, J, Price, S J, and Wilby, P R. 2012. National Capability Integration: Future Opportunities and Challenges, BGS Internal Report IR/12/040, 9pp.
- Multi-phase transport testing of rocks and clays
- Deformation testing of geomaterials
- Testing clay swelling properties
- Acoustic monitoring and source analysis