Mark Cooper’s Biography
- 2017 : Chief Geologist & Geology and Groundwater Team Leader
- 2017 : Visiting Research Professor at Queen’s University Belfast
- 2014 : Chief Geologist & Geology and Landscape Team Leader
- 2008 – 2014 : Geology, Publications and Information Delivery Team Leader, Geological Survey of Northern Ireland
- 1995 : Geological Survey of Northern Ireland
- 1990 – 1995 : PhD, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Liverpool.
“Diagenetic evolution and implications for the reservoir properties of selected shallow marine and aeolian sandstones.”
- 1988 – 1989 : Geological assistant to reservoir group, Badley Ashton and Associates Limited, Winceby House, Winceby, LINCS, LN9 6PB
- 1986 – 1990 : BSc Geology (Hons), Department of Earth Sciences, University of Liverpool
- Geological survey and research
- Professional and public outreach
- Project management
- 2018 : Invitation to attend Queen’s Garden Party at Buckingham Palace, May 2018.
- 2012 : Award for best postgraduate presentation. Dempster, M, Dunlop, P, Cooper, M, and Scheib, A. 2012. A geochemical approach to glacial sediment provenance in Northern Ireland. IQUA Spring Meeting, Queen’s University of Belfast.
- 2012 : Gold medal and runner up best undergraduate poster. Hollis, S, Cooper, M, Roberts, S, Earls, G, Condon, D, and Herrington, R. 2012. Evolution and emplacement of the Northern Irish, Tyrone Ophiolite during the Grampian-Tactonic phase of the Caledonian-Appalachian orogen. 55th Irish Geological Research Meeting & Lithosphere Workshop.
- 2012 : Gold medal and best undergraduate poster. Ni Luachrain, C, Meighan, I, Cooper, M, Burl, A, and Donald, A. 2012. Preliminary Geoarchaeology of the Late Neolithic – Early Bronze Age Ballynoe Stone Circle, Northern Ireland: geological stone provenance and feedback into glacial flow paths. 55th Irish Geological Research Meeting & Lithosphere Workshop.
- 2012 : Silver medal graduate poster. Inman, J, Anderson, P, Cooper, M, Condon, D, Crowley, Q, Meighan, I, and Stevenson, C. 2012. New insights into the emplacement of the Seeconnell Complex within the Newry Igneous Complex, Northern Ireland. 55th Irish Geological Research Meeting & Lithosphere Workshop.
- 2012 : Judges commendation for poster. Inman, J, Anderson, P, Cooper, M, Condon, D, Crowley, Q, Meighan, I, and Stevenson, C. 2012. New insights into the emplacement of the intermediate-ultramafic Seeconnell Complex within the Newry Igneous Complex, Northern Ireland. Volcanic & Magmatic Studies Group Meeting, Durham.
- 2011 : Judges commendation for poster. Hollis, S, Roberts, S, Earls, G, Herrington, R, Cooper, M R, Archibald, S M, and Piercy, S J. 2011. Volcanogenic massive sulphide exploration within County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. 54th Irish Geological Research Meeting, Galway.
- 2010 : Geographical Association Publishers Award – highly commended. ‘Climate through time’ poster. 2009. Poster has now been incorporated into the new specification for the OCR ’21st Century Science’ GCSE syllabus.
- 1998 : Invitation to Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen as ‘One of the UK’s Outstanding Young People’.
- 1999 : Chartered Geologist
- 1997 : Fellow of Geological Society London