Alexander Leslie’s Biography
- 2007 – ongoing : Team Leader, Precambrian and Caledonian Mountain Processes
- 2006 – 2007 : Project leader of Grampian Highlands Geology and Landscape Project
- 2001 – ongoing : Geologist, British Geological Survey
- 1985 – 2000 : Academic Geologist, Queen’s University of Belfast
- 1981 : 1984: P.doc, University of Aberdeen
- 1981 : PhD, University of Aberdeen
- 1977 : BSc (I),University of Aberdeen, Geology
- Caledonian Geology of East Greenland
- Communicating science to the public
- Neoproterozoic evolution of the North Atlantic Region, Rodinia Breakup
- Structural geology of the Scottish Caledonides
Current projects and collaborations
- Convenor of Rifted Margins sessions, EGU2009, 2010
- Field mapping and associated research, NW and Grampian Highlands of Scotland
- GSI3D bedrock modelling — building a UK model at 1:500k
- Lateral Variation in Thrust geometry, Ph.D. student, Keele University, (co-supervised by Graham Williams and Stuart Clarke).
- Project Leader, Grampian Highlands Geology and Landscape
- LESLIE, A. G., SMITH, M., and Soper, N. J., 2008. Laurentian margin evolution and the Caledonian Orogeny – a template for Scotland and East Greenland. in: Higgins, A.K., Gilotti, J.A. and Smith, M. P., eds., The Greenland Caledonides: Evolution of the Northeast Margin of Laurentia: Geological Society of America Special Memoir 202, p. 307–343.
- LESLIE, A.G. AND HIGGINS, A. K., 2008, Foreland–propagating Caledonian thrust systems in East Greenland. in: Higgins, A.K., Gilotti, J.A. and Smith, M. P., eds., The Greenland Caledonides: Evolution of the Northeast Margin of Laurentia: Geological Society of America Special Memoir 202, p. 169–199.
- TANNER, P.W.G., LESLIE, A.G. & GILLESPIE, M.R. 2006. Structural setting and petrogenesis of the Ben Vuirich Granite Pluton of the Grampian Highlands: a pre–orogenic, rift–related intrusion. Scottish Journal of Geology, 42, p. 113–136.
- KRABBENDAM, M. & LESLIE, A.G. 2004. Lateral ramps and thrust terminations: an example from the Moine Thrust Zone of Scotland, NW Scotland. Journal of the Geological Society of London, 161, 1–4.
- HIGGINS, A.K. & LESLIE, A.G. 2000. Restoring thrusting in the East Greenland Caledonides. Geology, 28, 1019–1022.
- Arc GIS and digital mapping capability
- French speaker
- Geological Mapping in complex structural terrains
- Science communication
- Structural geology and 3D visualisation and modelling of same
- 2001 – ongoing:Member of Edinburgh Geological Society. Currently Vice–president