Gareth Carter’s Biography
- 2013 – ongoing : BGS, Marine Geoscientist
- 2011 –2013 : Intertek Energy & Water, Coastal and Hydrodynamic Modeller
- 2010 –2011 :
MSc Geological and Environmental Hazards, University of Portsmouth
- 2008 –2010 : IKM Consulting Ltd., Environmental Scientist
- 2004 –2008 : BSc (Hons) Environmental Geosciences, University of St Andrews
- Marine geohazards to offshore infrastructure
- Determining geological constraints on offshore infrastructure
- Marine engineering geology and geotechnics
Current projects and collaborations
- 2019 – ongoing : Anglesey Marine Mapping: Project Lead on the high-resolution mapping of bedrock and seabed geomorphology around the island of Anglesey.
- 2018 – ongoing : Bristol Channel Marine Mapping: Project Lead on the high-resolution mapping of bedrock and seabed geomorphology across the Central Bristol Channel area.
- 2018 – ongoing : Shallow Gas Mapping: Project Lead on the mapping of shallow biogenic gas across the UK Continental Shelf.
- 2018 – ongoing : IODP Exp.381 Post-Cruise Research: Investigating the role of mass wasting in the evolution of a young active rift system.
- 2017 – ongoing : Expedition Project Manager for IODP Expedition 381 “Corinth Active Rift Development”.
McNeill, L C, Shillington, D J, Carter, G D, Everest, J D, Gawthorpe, R L, Miller, C & Green, S. 2019. High-resolution record reveals climate-driven environmental and sedimentary changes in an active rift. Scientific reports, 9(1), 3116.
Farrant, A, Terrington, R, Carter, G, Free, M, Porovic, E, Manning, J, Fournaidis, Y, Lagesse, R, Ting, C, and Omar, T. 2019. Engineering Geological, Geotechnical and Geohazard Modelling for Offshore Abu Dhabi, UAE. IAEG/AEG Annual Meeting Proceedings, San Francisco, California, 2018—Volume 6 (pp. 237-243). Springer, Cham.
Carter, G D, Huvenne, V A, Gales, J A, Iacono, C L, Marsh, L, Ougier-Simonin, A, Robert, K, and Wynn, R B. 2018. Ongoing evolution of submarine canyon rockwalls; examples from the Whittard Canyon, Celtic Margin (NE Atlantic). Progress in Oceanography, 169, 79-88.
Cotterill, C J, Phillips, E, James, L, Forsberg, C F, Tjelta, T I, Carter, G, and Dove, D. 2017. The evolution of the Dogger Bank, North Sea: a complex history of terrestrial, glacial and marine environmental change. Quaternary Science Reviews, 171, 136-153.
Robert, K, Huvenne, V A, Georgiopoulou, A, Jones, D O, Marsh, L, Carter, G, & Chaumillon, L. 2017. New approaches to high-resolution mapping of marine vertical structures. Scientific reports, 7(1), 9005.
Carter, G. 2015. Rock avalanche scars in the geological record: an example from Little Loch Broom, NW Scotland. Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association, 126(6), 698-711.
Boards and committees
- 2018 – ongoing: Engineering Group of the Geological Society, Secretary for the Working Party on ‘Offshore Engineering Geology, Geomorphology, and Geohazards’
- 2018 – ongoing: Marine Studies Group (MSG) of the Geological Society, Committee Member
- 2017 – ongoing: Central Scotland Regional Group of the Geological Society, Committee Member