Realising the potential of UKGEOS
VIRTUAL EVENT: The role of subsurface research labs in delivering net zeroEvent on 03/02/2021 - 04/02/2021
A range of energy resources, infrastructures and technologies are likely to be required as part of the transition to a low-carbon energy system and net zero. Many of these resources are likely to have impacts on, or implications for, the subsurface.
Against this background, the purpose of the new £31 million UK Geo-energy Observatories (UKGEOS) is to facilitate research that improves understanding of subsurface energy developments, mass and energy transfer in coupled systems, their impacts on the subsurface and surface, and consequently their interactions with the wider energy system.
The conference will bring together scientists from the UK and across the globe to talk about their experience with subsurface facilities, to examine the capacity of the UKGEOS facilities, to develop and stimulate research directions, to link these to decarbonisation policy and regulation, and to stimulate international collaboration in geo-energy.
Main convenor: Mike Stephenson (British Geological Survey)
Mike Spence (British Geological Survey)
Zoe Shipton (University of Strathclyde)
David Manning (University of Newcastle)
Linda Stalker (CSIRO, Australia)
Online registration for this conference is now open, or contact email@example.com to request a registration form.
Talks will take place between 10:45 and 15:00 GMT each day.
- The importance of test facilities in geoscience – Sue Hovorka and Linda Stalker
- The Otway test facility – Matthias Raab and Peter Cook
- Regulatory and policy need – Alwyn Hart, Mark Ireland
- Science so far in UKGEOS – Mike Spence and Magret Damaschke
- Panel discussion: Big challenges in geo-energy
- Coal mine geothermal at UKGEOS Glasgow – Alison Monaghan
- Dutch test sites for geothermal – Phil Vardon
- Gregor Goltz, Joris Koornneef
- Radwaste disposal – Fiona McEvoy and Jonathan Turner
- Role of test sites in interfacing with the public – Jennifer Dickie
- Panel discussion: Ways to bring the test site community together
And more talks still to be announced
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries.
Event on 10/03/2021