BGS is currently involved in Terrafirma, one of ten projects being supported by the European Space Agency's (ESA) Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) Service Element Programme.
Terrafirma aims to provide a pan-European ground motion information service which provides identification, assessment, understanding and monitoring of ground motions in the following thematic areas:
- hydrogeology (including abandoned and inactive mines as well as landslides)
Services available include:
- maps and time histories, from radar satellite archives, showing ground movement rates in recent years at millimetric scales
- monitoring of specific hazard areas on request
- measurements integrated with geological, and other information, interpreted by a thematic expert to provide the understanding needed before decision-makers take action
- site/project-based models to provide a deeper understanding and to introduce an element of forecasting
Products are already available for several sites throughout Europe — see Terrafirma service coverage.
Annual Terrafirma Workshop's offer presentations of interpretations as well as a training course in the use of Terrafirma InSAR products for ground motion management.
For further information contact Luke Bateson (BGS) or Geraint Cooksley (Terrafirma Project Manager), .