Explore Our Mission

Moratorium Awards

For expeditions commencing after 1 October 2013, all UK participants in IODP will be eligible for, and expected to submit applications for 'Moratorium Awards'. At the onset of the new domestic IODP programme (2013-2018), Moratorium awards improve post-expedition funding for UK participants, and replace the previous 'ring fenced' pot of UK-IODP standard grant round funding which was allocated from 2004-2013.

Moratorium Awards will combine funding to cover:

Moratorium period research funding levels: Awards will be paid at 80% FEC, with maximum limits of:

Detailed guidance may be found on the NERC website:

For further questions please contact the Science Coordinator (ukiodp@bgs.ac.uk), or Programme Administrator (daig@nerc.ac.uk). Applications will continue to be through the JeS website.

*Note that expedition (including post-cruise meetings) travel and subsistence (T&S) costs should not be included in Moratorium Award applications, and should be claimed through the science coordinator (ukiodp@bgs.ac.uk). General guidelines on claiming T&S may be found here: http://www.bgs.ac.uk/iodp/tands.html

Rapid Response Grants

IODP Rapid Response Awards are for the purpose of supporting a limited number of small-scale, short research activities specifically related to IODP Expedition objectives. Rapid research grants are typically awarded to assist with initial sample processing costs or small equipment purchases related to IODP involvement. Rapid research grants are also awarded to provide travel and subsistence for non-cruise participants who have utilised the results of expeditions and wish to attend post-cruise meetings.

Proposals (no more than 2 pages long) should clearly state the aims, deliverables and the case for support. Where relevant, the proposal should be supported by a statement from an IODP Leg Co-Chief Scientists and/or (for students) from an appropriate member of the departmental academic staff.

Please note that applications for Rapid Response Grants will now need to be costed under FEC requirements. The maximum amount, to include all FEC costings are now £2,750 for Rapid Response Grants. In other words, £2200 (80%) is covered by NERC, the other £550 (20%) is to be recovered from the applicant's institute.

Rapid Response proposals will be reviewed by members of the UK IODP Programme Advisory Group and awards will be limited by the funds available for this scheme. Although there is no closing date, applications should be submitted by e-mail to the Science Coordinator as early as possible in advance of the proposed starting date.

*As of 15 March 2014, Rapid Response Grants are no longer available to ship-based IODP participants (all 3 platforms) as well as shore-based participants on Mission Specific Platform (MSP) expeditions, as these individuals are eligible for Moratorium Awards.

Rapid Response Grants will be available to shore-based Science Party members of JOIDES Resolution and Chikyu expeditions, who are not eligible for the Moratorium Awards.

International Ocean Discovery Program
UKIODP Newsletter
Scientific Drilling Journal
ECORD Newsletter
IODP videos on the web
Access IODP Data and Samples
Site Survey Databank
Submit IODP Drilling Proposals