Work package 1: Treatment of gas in performance assessment
For more information, please contact Simon Norris, (WP1) leader.
- Describe the current treatment of gas issues in long-term safety assessments for waste and spent nuclear fuel.
- Identify the merits and shortcomings of the current treatment of gas issues in long-term safety assessments.
- Analyse the limitation of previous studies and the different types of uncertainties related to gas transport in the host rock and engineered barriers.
- Discuss the needs for additional studies of gas migration issues and how they can support future assessments.
- Integrate the information produced by the other WPs throughout the duration of the project, considering the implications for the current state-of-the-art.
- Examine the extent to which other WPs' findings provide satisfactory answers to the needs identified at the outset of the project.
- Define 'scenarios' related to gas issues. Discuss the uncertainties related to the scenarios. Identify the need of models and data for the treatment.
- Make recommendations for, and propose an updated treatment of, gas issues in relation to long-term safety assessments, based on the integrated findings from the project. This will consider, for example, issues to be dealt in a safety case and future needs, and a set of recommendations related to the design of the repository in relation to gas issues.