- Henry VII's Chapel (1509): original Cretaceous Reigate
Stone below the Jurassic Bath Stone exterior, recently extensively
replaced by white Portland Stone.
- Chapter House: renovated (1867) in grey-green Jurassic
Chilmark Limestone, a variety of Portland Stone from Wiltshire.
- St Edward's Shrine (1269): Jurassic Purbeck Marble
crammed with fossil bivalves with horse-shoe outlines which
have been called Devil's hoofprints.
- Statesmen's Aisle: statues are of Carrara Marble. Gladstone's
plinth is a striking example of marble breccia.
- Lantern floor of squares of Carrara (white) and Belgian
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: black Carboniferous
Limestone from Belgium, the scene of the bloodiest battles
of the First World War.
- West Front: blocks of the original (1243) Reigate Stone
have lost their sharp outline and become pillow shaped. Portland
Stone has been used as a replacement.
Learn more about Westminster Abbey's
building stones in the Holiday Geology Guide available from the BGS Bookshop