Charles Findlay Davidson (1911-1967) graduated from the University of St Andrews in 1933 with First Class Honours in Geology and Mineralogy. In 1934 he was appointed Assistant to the Curator at the Museum of Practical Geology. During the war he was involved in the preparation of confidential reports for military and naval intelligence on the topographical and geological conditions in existing or potential theatres of war. He also produced reports relating to strategic minerals including Uranium and this resulted in his appointment as Chief Geologist of the Geological Survey’s Special Investigations Division (later the Atomic Energy Division) in 1944. In 1955 Davidson was appointed Professor of Geology and Mineralogy at St Andrew’s and held this post up until his death.