Publication record details

Title An historical and petrological assessment of Pitairlie Quarry, Angus
Ref no OR/11/009
Author Everett, Paul A.; Tracey, Emily A.; Albornoz-Parra, Luis; Gillespie, Martin.
Year of publication 2011
Abstract Pitairlie Quarry, near Monikie in Angus, Scotland probably began operating in the mid 19th century, exploiting layers of sandstone and siltstone within the Dundee Flagstone Formation (part of the Old Red Sandstone Supergroup). The flaggy stone lends itself to paving, and much of the product was probably used for this purpose. Many other quarries in the local area, including the relatively well known and much bigger Carmyllie Quarry, have exploited the same geological formation to supply significant volumes of building stone in the past. Pitairlie Quarry ceased operations in 1915 but has been recently re-opened by the Denfind Stone company. Operations at the quarry currently consist of stone recycling from spoil heaps, but the owners intend to submit a planning application to extract reserves of in-situ stone. This report describes the historical development of quarrying at Pitairlie and presents a petrological assessment of the stone, to inform the planning application. Stone from the Dundee Flagstone Formation, in particular from Carmyllie Quarry, has been important historically for building and paving, both in the local area and further afield. Pitairlie stone shares many of the petrological characteristics of Carmyllie stone (though they can both vary somewhat in colour), and should in many cases provide a good substitute for Carmyllie stone where repairs are required.
Publisher British Geological Survey
Place of publication Nottingham, UK
Series Open Reports
View publication View online | View on NORA