Head of Information Products
Matt Harrison is Head of Information Products, leading a team creating national geoscience datasets for research and commercial use. Matt worked in business for 5 years on completing his BSc in Geology at Edinburgh University, moving on to undertake an MSc in Geographical Information Science, also at Edinburgh.
During his time at BGS Matt has worked in the field of spatial information, mainly across the natural hazards and marine areas, leading the GeoSure project and as Baseline Products Team Leader in interoperability between onshore and offshore datasets.
The Information Products programme aims to produce digital datasets
covering the whole of Great Britain that are based on the outputs
of the BGS survey and research programmes and our substantial national
data holdings. Geoscientific knowledge and data are combined to provide
products relevant to a wide range of users in central and local government,
insurance and housing industry, engineering and environmental business,
and the British public.
Information Products teams:
Will create, maintain and deliver digital geoscience
- underpin research and BGS derived products
- can be used in digital reporting tools, GIS modelling and web
- understandable for specialist and non specialist audiences
- DiGMapGB (geological map data)
- Superficial Deposit Thickness Modelling
- Geological Indicators of Flooding
- Soil Parent Material Model
- NBIC (comprehensive and representative borehole information)
- DigBath 250 (bathymetric data)
- DigSBS (marine sediment data)
- DigRock250 (marine bedrock data)
Data Capture and Best Practice
Will work with BGS and Customers to identify
requirements for capture that:
- underpin the development of new baseline and
derived information products
- enhance existing external customers
- co-ordinate a systematic approach to capture
- practice methods and procedures
- enable staff to follow these procedures
- The BGS CartoGIS service resides in the Data Capture and Best Practice Team. In addition to geological data capture and management, the service also produces illustrations for scientific publications, ensures quality output is maintained, and supports BGS in the delivery of key strategic objectives.
Will develop methods and create products that:
Dr Kate Royse
Products of use to:
- have relevant and undertandable datasets
- spatial data displayed as single or multiple
- 3D geological models of shallow subsurface
- combine geoscientific knowledge and services.
- central and local government
- insurance and housing
- engineering and environmentsl business
- the general public.
- geochemical hazards (e.g. radon and PHE's)
- natural hazards (e.g. landslides and dissolution)
- flooding permeability
- underground assets management
- the impacts of climate change
- scenario planning.
Many of our products are available through our online shops and
much of our data can be licenced for your own use. Please see our products
page for a full list of available products.